Saturday, September 21, 2013

Crom Castle & ruins; ancient Aghalurcher Church & Cemetery

We’ve been busy having a wonderful time with our international visitors!
With both Denise & David Pond & now my sister, Jen we’ve been on some lovely scenic drives – the autumn trees are starting to change colour & a splash of dark red or orange or yellow among all the green is spectacular! I didn’t expect to see it in Ireland!
We visited Crom Castle – a small round tower on an island in the middle of the loch, a ruined castle from 1611 built by the Balfour’s and the still lived in BIG castle built in early 1800’s. They are set on 2,000 acres of woodlands full of OLD oak & ash trees etc. We walked the 1 & half to 2 mile path around & through the Estate. There was misty rain at first then it fined up & sunshine! – all adding to the atmosphere!

On the way we stopped at the ruined ancient Aghalucher Church (founded in 7th century but the ruins from the medieval times). This parish is the one the Collums & Browns lived in. Can’t remember if I told you this - when asking about it I have always pronounced it as it looks/sounds (Aghalucher). A man looked at me strangely when I said it & he said when I showed him the word ’ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you mean ACALOOKA’!!!!!!  This is where I’m sure all our family history is on the fallen, moss covered, word – eroded gravestones!

We also found the OLD Mullaghfad Church where Browns & Steen’s were - but very few graves – maybe one possibility (HOWEY) further back up the family name road! It is the among forests of pine trees planted since there day – quite hilly!

We are off the Drunquin today on the way to the Folk Park with Jen. We’ll have a better look around where Dad’s grandparent’s ( James MOORE & Jane GIVENS married & lived/worked in 1852).

I had my haircut in Fivemiletown the other day!!!!  £5  - for ‘ wee drive trim’!!!!! I like my wee dry trim too!

Molly made us another apple pie (the pastry ‘so short’ – beautiful!) & some stewed apple.


Warren’s birthday today so we’re all celebrating – special seafood dinner tonight! I’m sure he’ll enjoy his present – Jame








son’s Irish whiskey.

No comments:

Post a Comment